Learn Math for Video Game Design & Coding through Solving fun Video Game Problems
What you’ll learn
- Fundamental math concepts
- Number base manipulation including binary, decimal and hex
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in multiple bases
- IEEE754 floating point and why it matters
- Deeply understand vector space in 2D, 3D and higher!
- Trigonometry calculations such as sin, cos and tan
- More advanced vector math such as dot and cross products
- Projectile motion mathematics
- Combinatorics and probability theory and where to use it
- Pen & paper or digital equivalent
- Internet access for quizzes and reference
- NO math skills required
Maths and video games go hand-in-hand. Video games are a practical, challenging, and fun way to sharpen your math skills. What’s more, video games are like living math. From graphics and physics, to AI and movement, games are full of math.
Learn foundational math concepts relevant to game development. In the course we break it down and build it back up, block by block. For each skill you will start from an interesting real-world problem. You’ll always understand why you’re learning a concept, and feel motivated to solve the problem in hand. In the course you will learn:
- How to write and solve equations relevant to game development.
- Basic trigonometry the fun way, triangles, circles & stuff.
- Enough vector math to make 2D and 3D games.
- About imaginary & complex numbers, angles & quaternions.
The concepts learnt will help you create interesting scoring mechanics, have one object smoothly follow another, calculate the path of a projectile, target enemies using triangles and understand how random item drops work.
This course is the result of a successful Kickstarter, and consistent demand from our community of hundreds of thousands of students worldwide. There is a real need to improve math skills, not just for games, but for many areas of life. You’ll be amazed how much more colourful the world looks as your math improves.
All the math you learn will be reinforced with quizzes. You’ll write your own handwritten notes as you go, to help you remember your skills. We’ll translate some of the math to pseudocode so you can see how it applies to C#, C++, Python and any other modern language.
Benefit from our world-class support from both other students, and the GameDevtv team who are regularly engaged in the forums and Q&A section.
You will get full lifetime access for a single one-off fee. The creators are qualified and experienced coders and avid gamers, so are able to explain complex concepts clearly, as well as entertain along the way.
This course is still in development, with new content dropping on a weekly basis.
Join us on this exciting journey now, you won’t be disappointed!Who this course is for:
- Game developers of any level who want strong math foundations
- Non game-developers who want to learn math the fun way
- Those competent in math who want to hone their skills